19.10.09

Monday Movie: Coraline


Separated from her friends, ignored by her parents and wary of her bizarre neighbours, Coraline Jones stumbles into an alternate reality where everything revolves around her - and the people all have buttons for eyes. Compared to her drab and boring everyday life, this vibrant and colourful microcosm is extremely seductive - but it's also got to have a catch...

Henry Selick's been mentioned a few times in my Monday Movie posts. You can always trust him to animate vibrant and imaginative characters. Until Coraline came along, he was unfortunately probably best known as the guy few people realised had directed Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. But with this film, Selick brought us one of the darkest, richest, scariest and above all delightful animated films to come out of the US in a good few years.

5 comments:

Zhoen said...

It really is a gem. Love the cat. Love the TMBG song that Other Father sings to Coraline. Great voices throughout.

Geosomin said...

This movie (and the book) are one of my all time favourites.
Loved the cat, and knowing there are people wit more vivid and odd imaginations than me :)

Tinker said...

I loved the book so much, I've been afraid to see the movie, lest that ruin it for me - but it seems so many people have said they loved both, that I supposed I should give it a go...

Tinker said...

Eep - that was supposed to be 'suppose' not 'supposed!' I really must start proofreading my comments, before I click!

Michelle said...

I'm shocked that Johnny Depp isn't doing one of the voices.