29.6.09

Monday Movie: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou


World famous oceanographer Steve Zissou is out to find the mysterious shark that ate his best friend in Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. On the way, he'll be forced to deal with pirates, the airline co-pilot who might be his son, and his own fading legend.

I'm not sure exactly why I like this movie so much. Something about the combination of quirky-but-believable characters and impossible sea creatures (provided by animator Henry Selick), along with the brightly coloured sets, lo-fi synth music and frequent, dead-pan absurdity all seem to strike some off-beat chord in that peculiar organ I call a heart. A film that defies genres and explanations, there's probably no way to know if you'll like this one until you've seen it.

1 comment:

Geosomin said...

I loved this film. Same thing...can't really put a finger on why...the characters are just so very fascinating to me. It just was "right".