19.5.08

I am not my DNA

I have to breathe a sigh of relief that religious distaste for mixing human DNA and animal cells has failed to result in a ban on promising medical research - by a huge margin of votes.

Lots of pompous orators have been keen to go on about how this is 'plainly immoral', 'tampering with life' and 'Frankenstein science'. Fortunately, it seems that our MPs understand that mixing unfeeling chemicals and cell structures in a petri dish hurts no-one (except vein-popping anthropocentrists) and may potentially ease the suffering of living, breathing human beings.

4 comments:

gnome said...

HERESY! If god (or was that gott?) didn't want us to suffer he would have mixed them chemicals himself. Oh yes he would 'ave. Hah.

Geosomin said...

I'm glad people can allow research to continue. It's not like we're creating a new species or something...we're trying to cure diseases. We know religion doesn't like science...it's always been that way. Unless we start trying to make a zombie half pig slave race for our sordid amusement, you'd think that we'd largely adhere to proper ethics and get on with trying to cure things...
As researchers we get yelled at if we use animals, or cells, or anything that might be "unnatural" but "could we please just hurry up and cure cancer already, as we've been giving you all money for a decade now and it should really all be sorted out now don't you think?"
I'll hush up. I could rant on this sort of thing for hours...

chiya said...

This is good. I hope they find lots of things to make people's lives better.

Anonymous said...

I feel distaste for it, but know it's not rational. Well, except for the part about it possibly being a bit of a slippery slope. I'm not for or against really...it's one of those things I prefer not to contemplate.