4.9.06

Book-A-Doodle-Doo

I’ve been tagged with this meme by DK, which also seems to have found its way to P.Z. Myers. I take this as an indication that I am truly in the big league now! And ZOMG!!!! P.Z. and I picked the same funny book!

1. One book that changed your life.

Carl Sagan’s Cosmos. His eloquent and moving portrayal of our intricate universe, and the methods we can use to understand more of it, changed the way I looked at the world around me.

2. One book that you've read more than once.

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami. A rather thin book, but packed full of beautiful, understated feeling.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.

The SAS Survival Guide, which includes such useful titbits as how to give yourself the Heimlich.

4. One book that made you laugh.

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is the most laughs you’ll ever get from the horrors of war.

5. One book that made you cry.

Loads of books make me tear up. The closest I’ve probably ever come to crying is reading the last two chapters of Sagan’s Billions and Billions where he and then his wife, Ann Druyan, write about his illness and death.

6. One book you wish you had written.

None of them. I’d want to write something that was uniquely my own.

7. One book you wish had never been written.

Ooh! Censorship! But nah. Above all, naming a book here would be mean.

8. One book you're currently reading.

Just one? Olivier de Goursac’s Visions of Mars is the largest of them. Half of it is hanging over the edge of my bedside table.

9. One book you have been meaning to read.

It's funny, I never have trouble finding things to read, but I rarely plan anything in advance. Everything that I mean to read right now, I am reading.

As DK puts it, ‘it's customary at this juncture to "tag" further victims bloggers who are then expected to propagate the meme in a fashion evocative of a nominally intellectual chain-letter’. And once again, I tag you!

3 comments:

Disillusioned kid said...

Some interesting choices there. Catch-22 might well have been my funniest book if it wasn't almost 5 years since I read it. Times, perhaps to add it to my list of books I've read more than once...

Anonymous said...

Sensible choice for the Desert Island! In reality what we would probably wash up with would be a soggy newspaper - just the sports page, or maybe a listing of what's on TV.

Have done my meme :-).

Anonymous said...

Pacian! I've been away for a while so I'm just beginning to catch up with your posts. I haven't read Sagan's Cosmos but Contact was my favourite book as a teenager. The SAS Survival Guide is a wise book selection if you were stuck on a desert island. Good thinkin'!