7.5.06

Guest Blogger: the Ghost of Thomas Jefferson

Obviously, I can't blog today because I'm busy working on the presentation I have to do tomorrow, so instead I'm going to leave you all with a guest blogger. The ghost of US President Thomas Jefferson!

Thomas Jefferson in 1791. The primary author of the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson was at this time the Secretary of State. His interests included promoting classical liberalism, republicanism and the separation of church and state.

Thomas Jefferson in 2006. His chief interests now include ridding the world's mazes of the scourge of Pac-Man.

This amazing feat is made possible by my copying a quote verbatim from my copy of Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World:
From the conclusion of this [Revolutionary] war we shall be going downhill. It will not then be necessary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be forgotten, therefore, and their rights disregarded. They will forget themselves but in the sole faculty of making money, and will never think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war will remain on us long, will be made heavier and heavier, 'til our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion.
I do like that quote. Thank you Thomas Jefferson, and watch out for those power pills!

No comments: