9.10.08

Futher Adventures in Interplanetary Snow

Image source with more information
Credit: ASA/JPL-Caltech/
University of Arizona/
Texas A&M University

Phoenix is still busy scraping away at Mars, despite dropping solar power as the nights close in. I meant to mention this a couple of weeks back, but Phoenix also recently detected falling snow - albeit falling snow that sublimed away in the thin atmosphere before reaching the ground.

Speaking of snow, Cassini is performing its most daring dive-bomb of the icy geysers of Enceladus today, passing within the did-somebody-move-the-decimal-place distance of 25km of the surface. For comparison, Enceladus is about 500km in diameter, and 237,000km from Saturn.  This is probably the closest Cassini has been to any world since it was launched from the Earth.  Read more here (no, I don't know why they're talking about baseball).

2 comments:

chiya said...

Hm, I don't know why they're talking about baseball either. But it sounds interesting. hey that 9th is today!

On a completely different topic, the word "phoenix" can be used to remember the number of oxygens (how many consonants in the word) and charge (number of vowels) of a phosphate ion. Which is kind of a pointless fact unless you're doing first year university chemistry, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Anonymous said...

Snow? This should change the face of sci-fi books. Or maybe I've not read enough of them to realize that it won't. I must get on with my reading...