27.12.06

Christmas Guest


Announced by the squeals of the bird she killed on Christmas Eve-Eve. I was slow to investigate, she flew off before I could get a picture. When she announced her presence again on Christmas Eve (in the same fashion), I ran to get the camera and snapped off as many pictures as I could. She was right in front of me, huge and powerful - probably the biggest bird this garden has seen since before it was a garden - but on the LCD screen she was a small grainy image, digitally enlarged and half-obscured by smears on the window. She looked around as the life left the bundle of black feathers in her talons, looked right at me a few times, quizzically, and then turned and swept herself away on wide wings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe she was picking up some last minute groceries for her family's Christmas Day feast?

Pacian said...

Probably, but does starling-flesh really qualify as 'groceries'?

Anonymous said...

So there it is! It's a good shot, nevertheless.