26.8.09

Plan 9 from Planning Even More

Everything's kind of stuck in the planning stages at the moment, and I'm not making as much headway as I'd like. I guess part of that is just that planning doesn't feel like progress, even though it's still necessary work that needs to get done. And it's even worse when you're halfway through something and have to stop to make sure you know where you're headed.

But the funny thing is, I find finishing things really disheartening, and I always find myself worrying that maybe I've actually lost the ability to make something complete. But when I think about it, this feeling has always been the strongest with those projects that I did complete, since, after all, if I hadn't finished them, I'd have lost so much more.

If you know what I mean.

5 comments:

diddums said...

I find that with arty stuff. The more effort that's likely to have to go into it, the less I want to do it, even if I know it's a good idea (and something I could do, and would be pleased with when it was finished).

But if I actually go for it despite my caution, it takes on a life of its own and I can't tear myself away. Perhaps that's what we're steering clear of?

I'm currently avoiding a reporty thing I'm doing, even though I get really involved in it once I start adding bits to it. It's nearly time to go to bed and so I don't want to be sucked remorselessly into anything...

Zhoen said...

Funny, I rather like the sense of completion. Sometimes I get frustrated when I can't finish a project.

mark said...

I do know what you mean...

Pacian said...

@D: Getting carried away isn't what I mind so much. It's when you get carried away to somewhere remote and have to find your own way to the finish.

@Z: Oh yeah, I like finishing things in the sense of having completed them. What I mean is, after I've started something creative, I find it really gruelling to get to something that I'm happy to show to other people.

@M: :-)

Tinker said...

No matter what you're creating, sometimes the 'finishing things up' part, can seem to take forever, can't it? But it's almost always well worth it all. Hang in there, Pacian - you can do it!