15.3.09

Hey Guys What's This


Are you still watching this space? Two things that were supposed to happen this weekend have been postponed, so try watching it in a week or so instead. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to post about other stuff.

Top of my list of cool things at the moment is the newly announced Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles for the Wii - an on-rails shooter in the vein of The Umbrella Chronicles, only this time covering the events of Resident Evil 2.

My feelings are kind of mixed about this. On the one hand, RE2 is one of my all-time favourite games, so, 'yay new re-telling of the story' etcetera. But on the other hand, RE2 is one of my all-time favourite games, so I don't want them to mess this up. Is the Capcom of today capable of the same strong characters (relatively speaking), strong atmosphere and colourful imagination? Especially now that they've lost Shinji Mikami, who both conceived the franchise and reinvented it with RE4?

Then again, what little we know about this game seems promising so far, in particular the stated return to a focus on horror. The things I remember most readily about RE2 are the different locations and their sinister atmospheres: standing on the roof of the police station hearing zombies moan across the city below; the deserted night-time ambience of the marshalling yard; the sterile whoosh of the doors in the underground lab. If they can get that much right, then even if they fail to convey what are - to me anyway - the franchise's most engaging characters, then I guess I'll be happy.

2 comments:

tinker said...

Nice CG image here. Amazing what they can do, nowadays.

Geosomin said...

I just watched the second resident evil film over the weekend...so very cheesy.
I loved the games though. I haven't updated my game console in ages (still saving up for a Wii) so my old PS2 is gathering dust...