15.9.07

Meme-o-Book

Tagged by Udge.

Total number of books owned

I guess I'll have to count won't I? About 125, not including graphic novels and manga. My excuse is that I have limited space and, lately, limited reading energy. I'll do better! I promise!

Last book bought

Volumes 2-4 of One Piece in a 3 for 2 sale. This was at the same time as I debated whether I was crazy or not with this young woman. Her opening sales pitch, on seeing my shopping bag was, “Are you a man of literature?” Well, obviously!

Last book read

The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories, H.P. Lovecraft, which I finally finished late last night. As to what I'm reading next, well I'm not sure. I do have a heap of books to get through, so I guess I'll start there. Dickens' David Copperfield, Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale and the aforementioned One Piece books are all likely candidates. And as I mentioned here, there are quite a few recently released books that I want to read, but are still in hardback.

Five books that mean a lot to you

Um... Mean a lot to me, you say, rather than me just liking them? Let's have a think.

Carl Sagan Cosmos
Obviously, I'm a huge fan of Sagan. The knowledge of space and the solar system in this book is a little outdated, but the philosophy of science and humanism as Sagan relates it is as important now as ever.

Haruki Murakami South of the Border, West of the Sun
A tragic love story between two childhood sweethearts who meet again in middle age. Always makes me a cry.

Steph Swainston The Year of Our War
This is how you write fantasy. I aspire to this level of greatness.

Alistair Reynolds Revelation Space
And this is how you write science fiction. Ditto.

Virginia Woolf The Waves
The Waves, To the Lighthouse and Orlando are all books that I find deeply touching, but The Waves wins out because I don't want Woolf to hog too much of the list. Rhoda was my favourite narrator, as she reminds me of both myself and the girl that broke my heart (and umbrella).

Do I have to tag some people now? I always balk at this bit, because I hate telling other people what to do with their blogs. But...

Diddums, Geosomin, Michelle, Lulubunny and also YOU (assuming that 'you' are not one or more of the preceding people).

6 comments:

Diddums said...

You've plenty of time - the books will creep up on you without you noticing. What surprises me is that I used to think we should keep nearly everything we got. Now I'm realizing it's not possible, and must read books then rehome them. Most of them. Well, some of them. Cough.

Udge said...

At your age [leans heavily on cane, coughs distressingly] I too had comparatively few books. They will magically appear on your shelves in the fullness of time. I've noted the Murakami and will look it (and Lovecroft) up. Thanks for playing.

LuluBunny said...

I am no longer it! Which is code for: I've finally gotten around to playing, and tagging others ;)

Thanks for tagging me, it was fun!

BTW, I love your list, especially the Woolf .. I am adding the Murakami book to my list of must reads :)

tinker said...

If you love literature, today it might be only 125, but give yourself 20 or 30 years, and you'll be looking around wondering where the house might be under all the books.

Diddums said...

Rustle rustle rustle... flap flap flappety flap.

(Books sneaking up on you in the middle of the night).

Pacian said...

They'll have to get past my cat first.