Borrowed from Jemima. A nice meme, strangely gendered.
* Your most marked characteristic?
I dunno. I'd have to ask other people what they thought. But I might not want to know...
* The quality you most like in a man?
* The quality you most like in a woman?
Um, gentleness? For romantic purposes, the answer is: glasses.
* What do you most value in your friends?
That they tolerate how fucked up I am.
* What is your principle defect?
Cripplingly low self esteem. Which leads to the urge to list another hundred or so defects for this question.
* What is your favourite occupation?
* What is your dream of happiness?
Love and acceptance.
* What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
Something horrible and painful and slow and personality-destroying, perhaps at the bottom of a deep, dark, smelly hole.
* What would you like to be?
Loved and accepted.
* In what country would you like to live?
England. Or, if they decide to deport me for my radical views (they can do that now, I think), New Zealand or Canada.
* What is your favourite colour?
* What is your favourite flower?
The humble rose.
* What is your favourite bird?
I can't choose between the hoopoe and the cassowary.
* Who are your favourite prose writers?
William Gibson, Virginia Woolf, Haruki Murakami, Steph Swainston, H.P. Lovecraft, Alistair Reynolds, and a bunch of other people.
* Who are your favourite poets?
I'm sorry, what?
* Who are your favourite heroes of fiction?
Jant in Steph Swainston's Fourlands novels. Oh, but he's more of an anti-hero. You know, I don't think any of the guys I like are really heroes. The eponymous Lord Jim from Conrad's novel, for example, is so great because he stands as a nice example of how weird our concepts of heroism and honour are.
* Who are your favourite heroines of fiction?
I guess since we're being all high-brow here, I can't say Samus Aran. I both identified with and fell head over heels for Rhoda in Viriginia Woolf's The Waves - but then, I don't know if she qualifies as a heroine, as she's only one of six main characters.
* Who are your favourite composers?
Beethoven and Yoko Kanno.
* Who are your favourite painters/photographers?
Picasso and Dali.
* Who are your heroes in real life?
Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman. I'd add Aung San Suu Kyi, but she's a heroine not a hero. o_O
* Who are your favourite heroines of history?
Hypatia, Anne Bonny and Mary Read.
* What are your favourite names?
I really like the name 'Pacian', but I can't use it for anything now, because I identify with it too strongly. Also: female names beginning with 'A'.
* What is it you most dislike?
Insensitivity, lack of imagination and the crossroads between the two.
* What natural gift would you most like to possess?
* How would you like to die?
Old and happy.
* What is your present state of mind?
* What is your motto?
"Think for yourself: don't have a motto."