10.6.07

Heteronormative Memetics

Borrowed from Jemima. A nice meme, strangely gendered.

* Your most marked characteristic?
I dunno. I'd have to ask other people what they thought. But I might not want to know...

* The quality you most like in a man?
Gentleness.

* The quality you most like in a woman?
Um, gentleness? For romantic purposes, the answer is: glasses.

* What do you most value in your friends?
That they tolerate how fucked up I am.

* What is your principle defect?
Cripplingly low self esteem. Which leads to the urge to list another hundred or so defects for this question.

* What is your favourite occupation?
Day-dreaming.

* What is your dream of happiness?
Love and acceptance.

* What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes?
Something horrible and painful and slow and personality-destroying, perhaps at the bottom of a deep, dark, smelly hole.

* What would you like to be?
Loved and accepted.

* In what country would you like to live?
England. Or, if they decide to deport me for my radical views (they can do that now, I think), New Zealand or Canada.

* What is your favourite colour?
Yellow.

* What is your favourite flower?
The humble rose.

* What is your favourite bird?
I can't choose between the hoopoe and the cassowary.

* Who are your favourite prose writers?
William Gibson, Virginia Woolf, Haruki Murakami, Steph Swainston, H.P. Lovecraft, Alistair Reynolds, and a bunch of other people.

* Who are your favourite poets?
I'm sorry, what?

* Who are your favourite heroes of fiction?
Jant in Steph Swainston's Fourlands novels. Oh, but he's more of an anti-hero. You know, I don't think any of the guys I like are really heroes. The eponymous Lord Jim from Conrad's novel, for example, is so great because he stands as a nice example of how weird our concepts of heroism and honour are.

* Who are your favourite heroines of fiction?
I guess since we're being all high-brow here, I can't say Samus Aran. I both identified with and fell head over heels for Rhoda in Viriginia Woolf's The Waves - but then, I don't know if she qualifies as a heroine, as she's only one of six main characters.

* Who are your favourite composers?
Beethoven and Yoko Kanno.

* Who are your favourite painters/photographers?
Picasso and Dali.

* Who are your heroes in real life?
Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman. I'd add Aung San Suu Kyi, but she's a heroine not a hero. o_O

* Who are your favourite heroines of history?
Hypatia, Anne Bonny and Mary Read.

* What are your favourite names?
I really like the name 'Pacian', but I can't use it for anything now, because I identify with it too strongly. Also: female names beginning with 'A'.

* What is it you most dislike?
Insensitivity, lack of imagination and the crossroads between the two.

* What natural gift would you most like to possess?
Wings.

* How would you like to die?
Old and happy.

* What is your present state of mind?
Foggy.

* What is your motto?
"Think for yourself: don't have a motto."

9 comments:

zhoen said...

Love it. Can't pick out one. Save to say, I find you lovable.

susanna said...

Your posts always make me smile, Pacian. :)

Geosomin said...

"The quality you most like in a woman? ...For romantic purposes, the answer is: glasses."

Glasses? Interesting. I always found them to be a bit of a barrier... I've been much happier since J got laser eye surgery as we don't bump glasses all the time when leaning in for a smooch. Plus he can see me now without them, which is a good thing I think.

And yellow, Beethoven, Picasso and Dali? Excellent choices... excellent taste. And Canada *is* an excellent place to live...we'll be very happy to put up with you and your radical ideas...:)

Diddums said...

I wonder who this A is. Does she wear glasses? :-).

Nah, I won't pry.

Michelle said...

I think that if it weren't for the low self-esteem thing, you would be a highly successful (financially and famous) author by now--unless you already are and are just hiding it from us.

I can't believe that you didn't have East Texas on your list of alternate places to live. Humph.

I hate the word heroine, because it now sounds like a drug reference. It needs to go.

susanna said...

Oh Canadaaaaaaaa...! Yep, Geosomin is absolutely right - you and your wit would fit right in. And we'd have you ending all your posts with "eh" within no time!

Tinker said...

Hmm...your heroines are a mathemetician and a pair of pirates - have you considered dating any stockbrokers?

You always have the most interesting answers on these meme thingies, Pacian!

Diddums said...

Er... what IS the next step after disillusion? (Decided to ask after all!)

Pacian said...

You'll know it when you get there.