15.3.07

Space Octopus


I am working on a couple of creative projects at the moment. First up is a story, still in the planning stages, but certain to be posted here when completed. Hopefully it will consist of three concise parts and something resembling a plot.

My other project started out as just the desire to get some practice in with C++. For me, coding in Java is like riding a bike, but C++ is somewhat more slippery and I always seem on the verge of losing my grip. Over the past couple of weeks I have been giving myself a bit of a headache trying to remember how it all works, but now I seem to have got something underway, although exactly what kind of something - and if it will ever be a finished something - I do not know. I do know that it is going to be a tile-based, turn-based strategy game in the vein of classic Japanese console games such as Front Mission and Super Robot Wars, and I've got as far as having a little grid which you can move little triangles around a certain distance each turn.

I have decided that the bad guys are going to be a sort of space octopus - at least to start with. In games like this, the bad guys you start out fighting are never the 'real' bad guys and sometimes are not even bad guys at all.

All the same, I hope that the terrifying image above, depicting the deadly space octopus in all its glory, does not give you nightmares.

6 comments:

Diddums said...

Yaaaaarghhhhh!! (Hides under the sofa). Sharky, sssave me...

Geosomin said...

I for, one welcome, our new octopi overlords

Geosomin said...

oops - aren't commas grand? They can take a perfectly humorous and coherent statement and muck it up entirely.

"I speak good english... I learned it from a book."

Should learn not to post before I've had coffee...

Pacian said...

You know, if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have noticed.

Michelle said...

I know less than nothing about coding, other than what you learn frequently becomes obsolete. I had a conversation with Sky last night about Perl, and I wanted to know why he wanted to learn that one before PHP, which seems to be more prevalent--not to mention that he could then help me with a project I am doing. He replied that it was better and that all the hackers use it. Oh lordy.

Love the octopus.

susanna said...

Thanks, Pacian. No sleep for me tonight. Bastard.