So, here are five computer game heroes with dry, gravelly voices and a cynical, wisecracking outlook. Quotes have been provided. Please say them aloud in a suitably Clint Eastwood-esque fashion, and try not to laugh.
- Master Chief - "I need a weapon."
- Garrett - "Bafford, like most of his kind, probably keeps his treasures on the top floor of the place. Close to his heart...and far from his servants."
- Solid Snake - "Liar! I know that Metal Gear is nothing but a nuclear-equipped walking death-mobile!"
- JC Denton - "When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror."
- Any of Bruce Campbell's handful of roles. Eg. - "Next time you pass by and drop in, keep passing by until you get to the river... and then drop in."
They call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." It's true; we're all for sale at some price or another. But you're different. Untamed, solitary. You're no dog. You're a wolf.
JC Denton deserves an award of a higher calibre - for what, I don't know. Being able to discuss in-depth philosophical and political points in such a deadpan monotone is definitely a skill in itself, but when that same voice also pulls out lines like this, you realise that Denton is in a class of his own:
Walton Simons: "You take another step forward and here I am again, like your own reflection in a hall of mirrors."
JC Denton: "That makes me one ugly son of a bitch."